Sometimes we all need a little detox!
“I need a vacation after the vacation”! How many of you can identify with this sentence? Ah summer and consecutive long weekends... so good to take time off, unwind, recharge, connect with family and friends, and explore new cultures and destinations. Often though, you find yourself overindulging in foods and drinks all the while skipping on exercise. You end up treating yourself with sweets and high fat foods. When you detox, you get yourself back into good habits of a healthy routine by staying away from foods that tend to be high in fat, sugar and chemicals, while replacing them with highly nutritious items that help your body repair itself.
Here are some tips on how to get back into your healthy routine of good food and exercise:
- Start with baby steps; it becomes overwhelming when you set yourself a goal which is too hard to accomplish, so breaking it up into small steps can help make it easier to achieve. For example, instead of planning to restart your exercise routine with 5 days a week for an hour each time, start by 3 days a week for half an hour each and then build on that.
- Rehydrate your body; water is king. It is the key to get your metabolism working properly and help get rid of toxins. Plus, it gives the skin the glow it needs and protects it from chaffing in this heat. We need about 8 glasses of water or 2 liters minimum per day, as our need for water increases with exercise and in this heat.
- Load up on fruits and vegetables; they are rich in vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals that help fight free radicals that damage the various cells in our bodies. They also help keep a healthy digestive tract and nourish your hair and nails after being beat up by the sun.
- Stay away from meat for a few days; add more vegetarian options to your diet such as beans, lentils and various grains like millet and quinoa. They are low in fat and rich in proteins!
- Take care of your emotional and mental health. Even though you just arrived from vacation, sometimes the toll of family duties and running around from place to place could leave your body and mind drained. Get a body treatment like a massage or a scrub that can help relieve some of the stress, or do some yoga or meditation to help you clear your mind and recharge your energy.
- Get enough sleep; studies have shown the importance of getting good sleep. It helps your brain function properly and prepares you for the daily tasks that include making the right decisions in your daily life. One of those decisions is making healthy food choices and controlling your meal portions. Aim for 7-8 hours nightly.
And because it’s World Heart Day today, here is our Heart Beet smoothie recipe for you to try making! It is nutritious, light and will surely help boost those energy levels as well as your mood.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/3 sliced cooked beetroot
- 1/4 cup fat-free greek yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and add ice cubes as needed, blend at high speed and enjoy!
Looking for heart healthy foods? See our hand-picked options below:
The Super Green Caesar Salad (add ½ avocado and a shot of supersedes to make it heart healthy!)
Author: Zeina Soueidan, Dietitian from Right Bite.